Aberglasney House & Gardens
Aberglasney Gardens is just outside Llandeilo.
There is mention of a garden on this site from medieval times. The real documentation starts during the reign of Henry VIII and Sir William Thomas. He built a house on the site and a chapel to Llagethen Church.
Over the next two hundred years various people developed the house and garden often going bankrupt with their grand ideas.
During the 1800’s the house of today was built by the Phillps family.
Again in decline during the 1900’s the property was left unihabited and vandalised.
The house and gardens were saved by the Aberglasney Restoration Trust in 1995 with money from an American benefactor. It reopened to the public in 1999 but the restoration continued. The ground floor was opened in 2013.
The trust turned part of the derelict building into the Ninfarium. It is complete with guttering and window frames from the original house as a reminder of how it was saved.
The gardens cover some 10 acres with both formal and woodland settings. They have a cafe serving refreshments and a well stocked plant centre.
Aberglasney is a very pleasant place to visit in the west of the park.
Aberyscir Coach House – Brecon Beacons Guide