The main attraction has to be the surrounding hills and mountains be it on foot, bike, canoe, horse, or stargazing the choices are endless. There is a very useful App if you like to find things on the go called ‘Visit Brecon Beacons’. Also lots of ideas of Brecon Beacons local activites can be found on the Brecon Beacons National Park website.
There are numerous events throughout the park from agricultural shows to dark sky events, re-enactments and food festivals. A good place to find information on the Brecon Beacons activities is the Brecon Beacons site.
You will find an up to date selection of brochures in the Coach House.
A selection of activities
Bicycle Hire: Try Bikes and Hikes for everything to do with mountain biking and cycling. They also have information on climbing, caving and other outdoor activities.
Boat Hire: Beacon Park Day Boats for canal boat & canoe hire based in Brecon.
Stargazing: The Brecon Beacons National Park is an international Dark-Sky reserve with the light pollution levels being continually reduced. On a clear evening you can see the Milky Way, major constellations, bright nebula and meteor showers all from your patio or the grounds surrounding the cottage. The Brecon Beacons Observatory at the visitor centre is just 3 miles from the cottage. Dark Sky Wales hold regular events there if you do not have your own telescope or just want to join in with others.
Walking: Brecon Beacons National Park Visitor Centre and Brecon Beacons Park Society give guided walks throughout the summer season. Some areas of the park can get very busy at certain times. This particularly applies to Waterfall Country. The park now have a live update on the parking.
Wild Swimming: Swim Wild Wye
Calendar of Local Events
- Glanusk Estate Fayre & NGS Open Day 15 May 2022
- Royal Welsh Spring Festival 21-22 May 2022
- Hay Festival 26 May–5 June 2022
- Llandovery Motorbike Weekend 2-3 July 2022
- Royal Welsh Show 18-21 July 2022
- Brecon County Show 6 August 2022
- Brecon Jazz Weekend 12-14 August 2022
- Green Man Festival 15-21 August 2022
- Llandovery Sheep Festival 17-18 September 2022
- Abergavenny Food Festival 18-19 September 2022
- Royal Welsh Winter Fair 29-30 November 2021
- Hay Winter Festival 24-28 November 2021
For more detailed information on the places that I have visted in the Brecon Beacons take a look at my Guide.