The main attraction has to be the surrounding hills and mountains be it on foot, bike, canoe, horse, or stargazing the choices are endless. There is a very useful App if you like to find things on the go called ‘Visit Brecon Beacons’. Also lots of ideas of Brecon Beacons local activites can be found on the Brecon Beacons National Park website.
There are numerous events throughout the park from agricultural shows to dark sky events, re-enactments and food festivals. A good place to find information on the Brecon Beacons activities is the Brecon Beacons site.
You will find an up to date selection of brochures in the Coach House.
A selection of activities
Bicycle Hire: Try Bikes and Hikes for everything to do with mountain biking and cycling. They also have information on climbing, caving and other outdoor activities.
Boat Hire: Beacon Park Day Boats for canal boat & canoe hire based in Brecon.
Stargazing: The Brecon Beacons National Park is an international Dark-Sky reserve with the light pollution levels being continually reduced. On a clear evening you can see the Milky Way, major constellations, bright nebula and meteor showers all from your patio or the grounds surrounding the cottage. The Brecon Beacons Observatory at the visitor centre is just 3 miles from the cottage. Dark Sky Wales hold regular events there if you do not have your own telescope or just want to join in with others.
Swimming: Brecon Leisure Centre
Walking: Brecon Beacons National Park Visitor Centre and Brecon Beacons Park Society give guided walks throughout the summer season. Some areas of the park can get very busy at certain times. This particularly applies to Waterfall Country. The park now have a live update on the parking.
Calendar of Local Events
- Glanusk Estate Fayre & NGS Open Day 17 May 2020
- Royal Welsh Spring Festival 16-17 May 2020
- Hay Festival 22 May – 1 June 2020
- Llandovery Motorbike Weekend 4-5 July 2020
- Royal Welsh Show 20-23 July 2020
- Brecon County Show 1 August 2020
- Brecon Jazz Weekend 7-9 August 2020
- Green Man Festival 20-23 August 2020
- Llandovery Sheep Festival 19-20 September 2020
- Abergavenny Food Festival 19-20 September 2020
- Royal Welsh Winter Fair 30 November-1 December 20
- Hay Winter Festival 27-29 November 20
For more detailed information on the places that I have visted in the Brecon Beacons take a look at my Guide.