Newton House Dinefwr

Dinefwr Estate

The National Trust property of Dinefwr consists of several elements, Newton House, Dinefwr Park and Dinefwr Castle. It sits on the Western edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Newton House

The original house was built in 1660 and whilst there are traces of this building it was replaced by a Gothic style building in 1850 complete with stone clading and 4 magnificent towers. The house is seen clearly from the sweeping driveway that makes it’s way through rolling parkland. The main staircase is one of the main features that survived the Gothic make over.

The house name derives from the ‘New Towne’ the original medieval settlement. The town was long gone when the descendents of Lord Rhys, who ruled from Dinefwr Castle, decided to name their house in its memory.

When the house was given to the National Trust there was little left of the original contents. It was decided to fill the building with items from the 1920’s and allow the visitors to touch and sit for a more realistic experience.

Newton House Dinefwr


The formal gardens were transformed in the mid 1700s by George and his wife Cecil. They based their more natural looking landscape on Lancelot Capability Brown. He indeed visited and made some suggestions but basically gave it his approval.


Medieval Deer Park

The estate covers some 800 acres and is both a SSSI and a NNR.

The fallow deer graze the medieval parkland surrounded by ancient Oaks much like they would have done for the last 1000 years.

In the meadow you will see the famous White Park Cattle. There are records of them being in the park since 920. Sadly only about 1000 breeding females are left in the world and this herd is one of the largest.

Park Cattle Dinfwr

Dinefwr Castle

Dinefwr Castle sits on a hilltop above the Tywi Valley. Occupied by Lord Rhys ruler of the ancient south Wales kingdom of Deheubarth. Surprisingly peaceful, his reign saw the growth in Welsh culture, poetry and music. After his death conflict resumed only to end with the English taking control in 1287.


The estate offers something for everyone. The cafe and shop are next to a sunny courtyard. You can follow the walking trail around the estate or take part in a Badger watch. The roof top tour is not to be missed for the amazing views. A really good day out.

Brecon Beacons


Aberyscir Coach House – Brecon Beacons Guide